You may have noticed that at the top of this blog’s right-hand sidebar there’s now a pic of the Shizzle, Inc cover with an invitation to download. If you click on it, it will take you straight to Amazon Kindle (the American one).
You may also wonder why I haven’t done it to begin with, as soon as the novel was published. The answer is, I couldn’t. In my naivete, I assumed that there would be an easy-to-use widget like the one WordPress.com has for Goodreads, but there isn’t one. I don’t know why. Maybe WordPress and Amazon have had a falling out, Like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. All I know is that setting up this little link was a pain.
I won’t take you through everything that I had to go through – suffices to say that there’s A LOT of useless, outdated advice out there. In summary, THIS WILL NOT WORK:
- Trying to insert HTML code, as per Kindle own instructions. This is probably meant for WordPress.org websites.
- Trying to use Text Widget.
- Trying to use any other widget, like Goodreads, and posting a url somewhere. (Ok, so it was a stupid idea, but innovative!)
JUST DO THIS:
1. Add an image of your cover to your media library (see Media in Admin sidebar).
2. Add an Image Widget (go to Appearance – Widgets in Admin sidebar). The dialog box will look like this:
3. Put a widget title in, if desired. I put in “Download Shizzle, Inc.
4. Now go back to your media library, find your cover image and double-click on it. You will see this:
See the box in the top right corner? Copy THAT url (ignore the permalink or the “shortlink”).
5. Paste the url in your Image Widget.
6. Save and move the widget up in your sidebar (if desired).
7. Go back to your website and admire the results!
Hope this has helped or will help you in the future. It will certainly help me when I get to post my second novel, cause I’m guaranteed to forget it all by then.